Thursday, June 2, 2011

MY HEART IS ACHING...


I miss my friend. Steph and I became good friends when she started working as an Associate at our law firm. You can imagine when she walked in the door and I saw how beautiful she was...talk about intimidating! It didn't take but a day before we hit it off. We had many girl nights over drinks and mexican cheese and chips sharing our life stories or quick lunch hours just so we had time to spend together. Steph was always there. We could spend every day talking and emailing or we could go a couple of months and pick up the phone as if it were yesterday. Steph was so successful and I couldn't be more proud of her. I idolized her in every way. She was an incredible attorney, a wonderful mother, and one of the most sarcastic people that I've ever known! She would always laugh at me because I was slow in getting her sarcasm. I would laugh 5 seconds too late. She'd just put her arm around me and say, "Oh, Nick. What am I gonna do with you?" She inspired me. She always achieved her goals. She was my inspiration for taking the PACE Exam to become registered and she was the first person I called when I passed the exam. I couldn't wait to tell her and she couldn't have been more proud. On several occasions, Steph asked me to come work for her. Oh, how I wanted to... Now, I wish I had if only so that I could have spent more time with her. For some reason, I've always been afraid of change and I never got the courage to go. Speaking of courage, I've never known someone who had so much courage. Her fight with cancer was unbelievable. I remember her telling me not to worry because she was told that this was the best type of cancer that she could have...good cancer she called it. She was so positive and she didn't want me to worry. That was my Steph. My only regret is that I wish we had more time together. I wish I had more photos to remember our moments together. I just wish I had one more chance to see her before she left this world, but I am so thankful that she is no longer hurting. I'm just struggling with the fact that I don't understand...why her? She was too young and too wonderful to leave this world. I can't wait to see her one day. Until then, I will hold every memory close to my heart. Thank you to all of those who kept Steph and her boys in your prayers. I think she was just too good for God to wait any longer. I'm thankful that I have another angel in heaven now.

1 comment:

mamaw said...

She was a wonderful person Nickie. She was extra special and God needed her. I'm glad you knew her. Just remember all the good times and laughs you had with her. She'll be watching over you! I love you!